Improving Your Immune System – Making Life Safer
When your immune system is called into action to fight a virus it creates memory cells and these cells remain in the body holding specific information about each threat the body has been exposed to!
Our immune system has a memory so it can more easily fight the virus the next time it appears.
The Centre for Disease Control reports that obesity, diabetes and excess body fat causes an imbalanced immune system leading to increased risk of bacterial and viral infection.
So if you are overweight, what can you do to improve your immune system?
It’s all about leading as healthy a lifestyle as possible.
So, if our first line of defense should be a healthy lifestyle, where do we begin?
We know that every part of our bodies, including your immune system, functions better when protected from environmental assaults and bolstered by healthy-living strategies.
I’m going to list 10 healthy-living strategies and my advice to you is to roll them, one by one, into your daily routine. Before you know it, you’ll be losing weight and feeling happier and more energised.
And most importantly, building your immune system defences.
10 Healthy-Living Strategies
- Losing weight and eating a diet with the essential protein, carbs, fats, fruit and veg.
- Getting exercise. We know that exercise stimulates the immune system cells that fight disease (antibodies and white blood cells ) so they can act more quickly.
- Not smoking. Smoking causes cancer, heart disease, stroke, lung diseases, diabetes, and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
- Too much sugar suppresses your immune system so reducing sugar including carbohydrates is recommended.
- Avoiding alcohol, or drinking only in moderation as alcohol interferes not only with your immune system but acts as an inhibitor to weight loss.
- Getting enough sleep (8 hours). A good night’s sleep is essential to maintaining your immune system.
- General hygiene, washing your hands – as often as you can.
- Minimising stress. Meditation or relaxation techniques such as yoga are proven to strengthen immune systems.
- Getting the correct vitamins and minerals, certain herbs can also boost your immune system. The recommended vitamins are: Vitamin B,C D, and E, recommended minerals are Zinc, Iron and Magnesium and herbs like turmeric, garlic and ginger can also help to boost your immune system.
- Drink water – the easiest of healthy lifestyle tips. Aim for approximately 2 liters per day.
If you start to implement these healthy lifestyle tips you’ll start to lose weight straight away, move the dial towards a healthy BMI and most importantly, build your immune defense to a point where it can do what it was intended to do – protect you.
Bye for now and see you in the next video.