(Article compiled by the Wexford/ Gorey Motivation clinic.)
The Christmas season is just about here and it’s hard to stay on track this time of year whether you’re maintaining or trying to lose weight. There is so many parties and lots of temptation, so here is a few tips to make it a little easier this holiday season.
- Avoid Stress, well as much as possible. Its so important to get organised now, make lists of what need to be done and when your going to do it because stress is one of the major triggers for overeating.
- Plan Ahead, if your going to a party never arrive hungry. Eat properly throughout the day, have your regular meals, do not let yourself go hungry as this is when we will reach for the snacks and nibbles. Make sure you have a nutritious, protein rich meal before you go.
- Shop Carefully, plan your meals and only buy what you need. You do not need to have lots of extra food in the house. We seem to forgot that the supermarkets are only actually closed for one day, Avoid buying tins and boxes of sweets an biscuits because if they’re not in the house you can’t eat them.
- Walk it Off, get off the couch and move, go out for a walk before or after your meals, even better make it a family event. Walking not only benefits you physically it also puts you in a really good mindset.
- Water is particularly important when you’re trying to achieve a healthy weight loss, as it improves the digestive system so that fats are eliminated from the body more efficiently. It also reduces fluid retention and decreases the appetite. In fact, people often mistake thirst for hunger, so if you feel like a snack, try first drinking a glass of water. Very often, this satisfies the craving and stops you reaching for calories you don’t need.
- Set achievable goals, you will be a lot busier over the holidays so if you think it won’t be feasible to maintain your current level of activity, or eating plan, change it a little to suit what you can do.You’re much more likely to stick to your plan and succeed if you set your expectations more realistically, aim to maintain your weight at the least.
- Wear something you feel good in, because if you feel good you will have less of an urge to overeat.
Remember if you do slip don’t abandon your entire plan just put things into perspective.Weight loss is never easy, it’s a journey with ups and down’s, there will always be times when you slip and that’s ok as long as you don’t quit.
Enjoy your weekend and any parties you may have!