Just because you are on a weight loss programme doesn’t mean you have to follow a dull and boring diet. It’s all about healthy food.
In fact, to achieve healthy weight loss, it’s more essential than ever to eat regularly and provide as much variety as possible to ensure you enjoy your food.
Try these 10 tips as part of your healthy eating plan and see how healthy food is anything but boring.
1. For pastas and curries, choose a tomato based dish rather than a cream or coconut sauce.
2. Reduce the fat content of omelettes by using one whole egg but only the white of another.
3. Use iceberg lettuce leaves instead of bread wraps. Fill with flaked tuna or sliced baked chicken breast, seasoned with spices or flavoured with a low fat dressing.
4. Experiment with zero fat ingredients to maximise flavour. Sprinkle chicken or fish with Cajun spices or add a squeeze of lemon for a classic accompaniment to salmon or trout.
5. Chicken breasts are a great low fat staple but can become dry and flavourless through overcooking. For a tasty and succulent alternative, try roasting individual breasts on the bone – you will be amazed how much more flavour they retain. Avoid eating the skin though.
6. Soups, salads and stir-fries are all great ways to enjoy vegetables. Red or green peppers, scallions, tomatoes, cabbage, mushrooms and celery are calorie free so you can eat as many as you like. Others such as carrots, peas, green beans and turnips are very low in calories.
7. Try puréed cauliflower seasoned with salt and pepper as a delicious alternative to mashed potato.
8. Beans on toast is a classic quick meal staple. Keep it healthy by choosing sugar-free baked beans and toasted pitta bread.
9. Chopped fruit, sugar free jelly and zero fat yogurt make a great dessert.
10. They are a low fat, healthy food but let’s face it, fish is not to everyone’s taste. If you are a confirmed carnivore, meatier fish such as salmon, tuna, swordfish and monkfish are a great way to introduce your taste buds to seafood.