The weather is simply unpredictable so it can be hard for us to motivate ourselves to go outside and get that much needed exercise that is important to help us lose weight.
At Motivation Weight Management, we believe it’s important to include at least 20 minutes of moderate exercise as part of your weight loss routine each day. A walk is often the most attractive option, particularly for someone who hasn’t exercised in a while.
Pre-planning your days is crucial to building up and keeping your momentum going. It allows your daily routine to be as stress-free as possible. This not only includes your daily food intake but also the time set aside for exercise too. So if the weather is disrupting your plans, don’t be discouraged; these 10 easy indoor exercises mean you can work out in the comfort and warmth of your own home, at any time.
10 Easy Indoor Exercises
1. Knee Lifts – March up and down the hallway raising your knees to waist height or higher. Repeat 10 or more times depending on your energy levels. Always push yourself to do one or two more as you finish. This will help build your stamina over time
2. Jumping Jacks – Begin by standing in place with your arms by your sides and leg together. Jump up bringing your arms out to the side and your legs apart as far as you can comfortably. Repeat 10 times, rest and repeat again.
3. Dancing – Put some music on the radio, TV or listen to your favorite iPod tunes. Then dance around the room to your heart’s content. It’s a great way to exercise and lift your mood!
4. Stair Step – Using the bottom couple of steps of your stairs, step up and down, switching your front leg every now and then. Try to do this for one minute. Stop and repeat.
5. Cleaning – Hoovering and mopping may not be jobs that any of us particularly enjoy but with the added bonus of losing calories and improving our fitness, it’s not all bad. Other household chores can also be beneficial. Once you’re active around the house, you’re doing your body good.
6. Skipping – Skipping is a fantastic exercise. You’ll find you’re out of breath in a surprisingly short space of time. Keep it up and you will see the results. Begin with one minute at a time. Rest and repeat. Then increase as you build up your stamina.
7. Front lunges – Stand with your feet together and your hands on your hips. Take a large step forwards bending both legs at the knee. Continue with the opposite leg. Make your way down the hallway like this. Turn around and repeat. Try 5, rest and repeat. Remember to keep your back straight and pull in your stomach to help keep your balance.
8. Push-Ups – A simple way to do push-ups is to stand at arms-length from the wall with your palms flat against it, shoulder-width apart. Slowly lower yourself towards the surface, keeping your elbows close to your side. Now extend your arms back to their original position. Do 15 of these at a time, rest and repeat. As your strength improves, you can move to the floor, first on your knees, working up to doing them on your toes.
9. Squats – Another old favorite is squats. Use the kitchen counter or ironing board for extra balance. Squat down until you’re almost in a sitting position. Not too fast. Do 10-15 of these, then repeat.
10. Water Weights – Using a filled bottle of water in each hand as weights, you can work-out your arm, back and shoulder muscles. Raising your arms to shoulder height, lift one arm above your head then bring it back down. Then do the same with the other arm. Do 10 repetitions. Then, rest and repeat. Alternatively, hold the bottles by your side. Lift your arms outwards to shoulder height before returning to your sides. Repeat 10 times slowly, rest and repeat.
We find exercise is always made easier with some back ground music, it can make it a little more fun to lose weight. You can even do some of these 10 easy indoor exercises in-front of your favorite TV show. As with all exercise, the more you do the easier it becomes so don’t lose heart if you find the first few attempts are tough going.
These are just suggestions!
You don’t have to do them all, just try 20 – 30 minutes a day combining 4 or 5 and you’ll be well on your way to achieving your fitness and weight loss goals.