This month we’ve got a recipe that will really aid weight loss and weight management. We’re using prawns in it because they are a rich source of protein containing 10 grams of protein per 2 ounce serving and this prawn recipe will leave you feeling fuller for longer. However, if prawns aren’t your favourite source of protein you can substitute it with chicken or in the case of vegetarians, chickpeas are a great substitute, or indeed an addition to the prawn or chicken recipe.
Besides being high in unsaturated fats, prawns are an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids which you can only get through your diet. Omega-3 fatty acids reduce inflammation and help reduce body fat if eaten regularly.
Before trying this prawn recipe be mindful of keeping the prawns healthy by choosing low fat cooking methods. The last thing you want to do to this great source of protein in your diet is make this naturally low fat food, higher in calories. Prawns cook quickly but can cope with high heat cooking methods so we fry them today with Frylite 1 cal spray.
Sources of protein should be accompanied by healthy greens and for this recipe we’ve included one of the less common greens, asparagus. Loaded in nutrients. This spring vegetable is full of fibre, vitamins A, C, D and K as well as antioxidants and high levels of asparagine which is a natural diuretic.
Prawns with Chickpeas with Seasoned Asparagus.
- 6-8 asparagus tips
- Black pepper or dry chilli seasoning
- 90g Prawns
- Small tin of chickpeas
- 2 red peppers
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 chicken stock cube (only needed if dish seems dry before adding pesto)
- 2 teaspoons pesto
- Place asparagus in small food bag.
- Spray with frylite and shake in black pepper or chilli.
- Shake bag and remove asparagus from bag. Fry in pan for 6 minutes.
- Meanwhile in another pan fry off prawns and chopped peppers.
- Add chickpeas if using, then garlic and 2 teaspoons pesto. Add stock if required.
- Cook for a couple of minutes stirring constantly.
- Serve with asparagus.