Sometimes you just want something sweet (like chocolate!) and it’s nice to have a few ideas that don’t cause calorie overload but hit the spot and kill the craving. Chocolate strawberry dips are a good option as they are easy to make, require few ingredients and are mainly natural sugar which is always better than refined.
If you buy dark chocolate with a high cocoa content it is actually high in many nutrients especially fibre, iron, magnesium, copper and full of antioxidants (more than most other foods). This recipe includes 2 ounces of dark chocolate so the total calories are about 500. Split between the strawberries this comes down to approx. 60 calories per strawberry. Moderation is the key here as while there is less sugar in dark chocolate, there is still some.
This is a great idea for the kids to make for a birthday party or when entertaining friends as they are easy and look impressive on the plate!
Chocolate Strawberry Dips
- 8 ounces of washed and well dried fresh strawberries (approx. 2 cups)
- 2 ounces of dark chocolate (at least 70% cocoa)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons coconut butter (optional to drizzle)
- Melt dark chocolate in a heat proof bowl set over a saucepan of boiling water on hob or in microwave stirring at intervals.
- Remove from heat and stir in tablespoon of coconut oil.
- Hold each strawberry by the stem and dip fully into chocolate mixture.
- Lay strawberries on parchment paper on a baking tray (about 2 inches apart).
- Place tray in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Soften coconut butter in microwave, cut corner in small plastic food bag, fill with butter and drizzle over strawberries.