Time: 1 hour
Food Plan Info
Free Veg: 2
We found this gorgeous recipe for eggplant pizzas while flicking through a Julia Child recipe book. So we thought we would put our own motivational spin on it for you!
This is pizza made on a base of roasted eggplant, so it is a great vegetarian recipe option for friends and family members and it is also perfect if you do ‘Meatless Mondays’ or meatless any day in your household.
It also has has the added benefit of being a satisfying meatless weight loss meal.
The protein allocation is only 1/4 so to bulk up, you could put a poached egg on top or some mixed beans.
- 1 eggplant, about 8 ounces and 9-10 inches long
- Salt, for drawing water out of eggplant
- 2 tsp. dried Italian (mixed herb) seasoning, for sprinkling on eggplant before roasting
- 10 large basil leaves, cut into long thing strips (chiffonade shape)
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 1/4 cup finely grated low-fat mozzarella blend
- Hot red pepper flakes for sprinkling finished pizza (optional)
- 1 cal spray
- 1 cal spray
- 3 large garlic cloves, very finely chopped
- 1 can (400g) good quality chopped tomatoes (or use 2 cups peeled and diced fresh tomatoes)
- 1/2 tsp. dried Italian seasoning blend (mixed herbs)
- 1/4 tsp. dried oregano
- Cut off both ends of the eggplant; then cut it into 3/4 inch thick slices (trying to make them the same thickness!)
- Place the slices of eggplant on a double layer of paper towels and sprinkle both sides generously with salt.
- Let the eggplant sit with the salt on it for about 30 minutes to draw out the liquid. (After the eggplant sits for 15 minutes, turn on the oven to 190C.)
While the eggplant sits, make the sauce.
- Cover a large pan with 1 cal spray and sauté the finely chopped garlic just until it becomes fragrant. (Don’t let it brown.)
- Add the tin of tomatoes, dried mixed seasoning, and dried oregano and let the sauce cook at a low simmer until it’s thickened, breaking up the tomatoes with a fork as it cooks. (Add water as needed, a few tablespoons at a time as the sauce cooks, keeping it hot by simmering at very low heat until it’s needed for the eggplant slices.)
- After 30 minutes, wipe the eggplant dry with paper towels (this also helps to remove most of the salt.)
- Spray a roasting sheet with 1 cal pray, lay eggplant slices on, spray the tops of the eggplant with 1 cal spray and sprinkle with dried mixed Italian herb seasoning.
- Roast the eggplant about 25 minutes (but “not so long that the slices become mushy and lose their shape” as Julia says.)
- While the eggplant roasts, thinly slice the fresh basil leaves (if using) and combined freshly grated Parmesan and low-fat mozzarella blend.
- After 25 minutes or when eggplant is cooked to your satisfaction, remove from the oven and turn oven setting to grill.
- Spread a few tablespoons of sauce on the top of each eggplant slice, sprinkle with thin basil slices and top with the cheese.
- Put pizzas in the grill until the cheese is melted and slightly browned.
- Serve hot, with red pepper flakes to sprinkle.