Food Plan Info
Free Veg: 1
This short-cut stew, made in less than 30 minutes, uses stock to keep the meat tender and full of flavour. Here, the
traditional Caprese ingredients — tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, mozzarella and basil leaves — combine for a savoury
Tomatoes are an excellent source of vitamin C (providing about 30 percent of your daily value) and a 150g serving has
just as much potassium as a medium banana. Tomatoes get their red color from lycopene, a carotenoid that research
suggests may play a role in reducing the risk of heart disease.
- Make sure to drain the quinoa when cooked to remove any residual water.
- Make the 250ml of stock but don’t add it all. Add 200ml to start and see how that goes, if it’s too dry, add as required.
- You can add other spices to suit your preferences. Chili flakes give it an added kick.
- Dial down on the garlic if you like. There are 4 crushed cloves but you could manage with 2.
- This meal tastes great re-heated so set aside the basil and mozzarella you’ll need.
Ingredients for Caprese Salad Inspired Chicken Stew
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 400g skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Black pepper
- 250ml low-salt chicken stock
- 300g tomatoes
- 4 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 200g cooked quinoa
- 140g low fat mozzarella (if you can’t find the pearls torn pieces will do)
- Fresh basil leaves
Instructions for Caprese Salad Inspired Chicken Stew
- Wash and cook the quinoa as per packet instructions.
- Heat the oil in a medium non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken breasts, sprinkle with salt and cook until browned on both sides, but not fully cooked through, about 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- Add the broth, tomatoes, garlic and vinegar to the skillet; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer until the chicken is fully cooked and tomatoes are softened, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board. Smash the tomatoes in the skillet with a fork and please be careful the hot juices don’t splash. Cut the chicken breast into pieces or slice thinly.
- Stir the chicken and warm quinoa into the tomato mixture in the skillet. Add black pepper. Transfer to a serving bowl. Sprinkle with the mozzarella cheese and chopped basil.