Food Plan Info
Free Veg: 1
Portobello mushrooms are a healthy, versatile alternative to burger buns and baked potatoes. You can fill these with any vegetable you want to make a tasty meal with minimal carbohydrate. Portobello mushrooms are low in sodium and are a great source of protein, B vitamins, potassium, magnesium, zinc, copper and selenium.
They contain no saturated or trans-fat and each one only contains 33 calories.1 of these mushrooms with filling provide 7.5 grams of protein and 4.5 grams of fibre.
Why not give this easy portobello mushrooms recipe a go, it’s a great one for vegetarians as a meatless main dish with salad or makes a terrific starter for meat eaters as well.
Time: 20 minutes
Free veg 1
– 4 Portobello mushrooms
– Olive oil or low Cal spray
– 1 teaspoon sea salt
– 1 tablespoon olive oil
– 1 tablespoon minced garlic
– 120g of low fat feta crumbled
– ½ cup of prepared pesto
1. Remove and discard stems from mushrooms; with a spoon, scrape and remove gills.
2. In a small bowl, combine oil and garlic; brush over mushrooms. Sprinkle with salt. In a small bowl, combine cheese and pesto.
3. Place mushrooms on a piece of greased heavy-duty foil (about 12-in. square). Grill mushrooms, stem side up, covered, over medium heat for 8-10 minutes or until mushrooms are tender.
4. Spoon cheese mixture over mushrooms; grill, covered for 2-3 minutes or until filling is heated through.