Good old Shepherd’s Pie.
It’s one of those go to staple meals not only in Ireland but across the world. Shepherd’s Pie is a long-standing family favourite because it’s easy to make and serves an entire family in one go.
Of course, we also associate Shepherd’s Pie with mincemeat and a mashed potato crust but this vegan alternative is well worth a try.
It’s wholesome and tasty and credit where credit is due, this vegan pie recipe also hits a home run with warmth and flavour.
Time 50 minutes
Free veg 1
Rest. Veg. 1
Vegan Shepherd’s Pie with Broccoli & Cauliflower Ingredients
– 600g of Veggie mince
– 250ml of stock made from vegan stock cube
– 1 small onion
– 1 garlic clove minced
– 400g of chopped tomato
– 150g of carrots chopped
– ½ head of broccoli
– ½ head of cauliflower
– Low calorie spray
– 1/2 tsp of salt
– ½ tsp black pepper
– Rosemary sprigs (if desired)
Vegan Shepherd’s Pie with Broccoli & Cauliflower Directions
1. Heat a large pan with a spray of low-calorie spray and fry off the onion, garlic and carrot.
2. Add the veggie mince to the pan, season with salt, pepper and finely chopped rosemary. Cook for 8-10 minutes.
3. Drain off any excess oil from the pan and add in the stock and the tin of chopped tomatoes
4. Simmer for 10 minutes and transfer to an oven proof dish.
5. To make the topping: steam or boil the broccoli and cauliflower until tender then mash together and spread on top of the veggie mince.
6. Cook in the oven at 180◦C for 20-25 minutes.
Download your copy of the Vegan Shepherd’s Pie with Broccoli & Cauliflower recipe here.