Spiced Turkey Burgers
These spiced turkey burgers make a great low-fat alternative to beef burgers and are ready to cook in under ten minutes.
Restricted Veg 1/4
– ½ red onion, grated
– 25g fresh wholegrain breadcrumbs
– 400g turkey mince
– 3 cloves of garlic
– 1 red chilli finely diced (de-seed if you don’t want them too spicy)
– 2tsp coriander seed
– 2 tsp cumin seeds
– 1 tbsp freshly chopped coriander
– ½ tsp salt
– ½ tsp black pepper
– 1 egg yolk
1. In a large non-stick pan, toast the coriander and cumin seeds until they start to release a scent, about 1-2 min. Don’t let them burn, move around in the pan continuously.
2. Pop into a pestle and mortar and grind. If you don’t have a pestle and mortar wrap the seeds in cling film and roll with a rolling pin to grind. Once crushed and smooth, transfer to a mixing bowl.
3. Add the turkey, grated onion, breadcrumbs, garlic, chilli, egg yolk and seasoning, then mix. Shape into 8 burgers.
4. They can be cooked on a BBQ or in a pan. To pan fry spray a pan with fry light spray and fry the burgers for 3-4 min on each side until browned and cooked through.
5. Serve with a side salad, makes 2 spiced turkey burgers per person.