This lentil soup recipe is great for promoting healthy bowel movements as it’s packed full of fibre thanks to the lentils and veggies, water and magnesium in the spinach.
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 200g spinach leaves
- 1 onion diced
- 4 pieces of streaky bacon
- 120g finely diced carrot
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2tsp turmeric
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, seeds removed if you don’t want the soup too spicy, finely sliced
- 2 reduced salt chicken stock cubes
- 280g red lentils rinsed
1. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion and the carrot. Cook on a low to medium heat for 10 minutes until the onions have softened.
2. Add in the spices and cook for a further 1 – 2 minutes until the aromas are released.
3. Pour in 1.25 litres of boiling water, crumble in the stock cubes and add the lentils.
4. Bring to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to ensure the lentils aren’t sticking or overcooking. Add the spinach leaves in for the last 5 minutes.
5. Meanwhile grill the bacon until crispy, remove from the heat and pat off excess oil with kitchen paper. Serve the lentil soup with a sprinkle of crispy bacon on top of each bowl.