Time: 50 mins
Food Plan Info
Free Veg: 1
This delicious tofu quiche recipe uses tofu instead of eggs for a healthy, low-fat, dairy free, and cholesterol-free vegetarian and vegan breakfast, weekend brunch or dinner option. The recipe contains nutritional yeast which is sometimes called a superfood because even a little of this high protein, low-fat, nutrient-dense food provides a host of vitamins and minerals.
More research is necessary to confirm the benefits of nutritional yeast. However, it seems that it may help boost energy and maintain vitamin B-12 levels, as well as supporting the immune system, dermatological health, and pregnancy. Not all nutritional yeast is fortified with vitamin B-12, so it is important to check the label for ingredients.
Nutritional yeast is an excellent source of vitamins, minerals, and high-quality protein. Typically, one-quarter of a cup of nutritional yeast contains: 60 calories , 8 grams (g) of protein, 3 g of fiber,11.85 milligrams (mg) of thiamine, or vitamin B-1,9.70 mg of riboflavin, or vitamin B-2,5.90 mg of vitamin B-6, 17.60 micrograms (mcg) of vitamin B-12. It also contains vitamin B-3, potassium, calcium, and iron.
This recipe uses 1 protein serve per slice so you could use once slice as a breakfast option or double up for a dinner serving.
Tofu Quiche Ingredients
- 1 tbsp. rapeseed oil
- 100g of scallions, red pepper and courgette chopped finely
- 100g of spinach
- 1 sliced tomato to garnish
- 300g packet of silken Tofu
- 1½ tbsp. of nutritional yeast
- 1 clove of crushed garlic
- ½ tsp of dried oregano
- ½ tsp of smoked paprika
- Pepper to taste
Tofu Quiche Directions
- Preheat oven to 180° C.
- Take finely chopped vegetables and lightly fry in Frylight.
- Grease a flan dish (rectangle-shaped dish will work just as well) with the tbsp. of rapeseed oil.
- Put the tofu, garlic and nutritional yeast in a blender and blend to a soft paste.
- Transfer to a bowl and mix the cooked vegetables through as well as the spinach. Add the oregano, paprika and pepper and stir well.
- Pour the mixture into the greased dish and bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden on top.
- Garnish with fresh herbs and sliced tomato and serve with a side salad and baby potatoes.